I'm highly biased. I not only think Crusade is better than GalCiv III but I think Crusade is better than any version of GalCiv we've ever made. But not everyone will agree with me and thus, we should discuss what is going to be "back ported" into the base game.
Stardock Game News
The promise of a new theater of capitalism has brought new competitors with it. The first of these is The Penrose Collective (also known as "Nomads"), a ragtag community brought together under the unifying leadership of Ezra Hoang. This group’s atypical practices have allowed them to find a place in the still young solar economy.
Offworld Trading Company is 75% off in Steam's Midweek Madness sale!
Get it here!
The expansion pack to Galactic Civilizations III, Crusade, adds a new multicore job system for handling turns. This means that turns are dramatically faster late game.
When Crusade first game out, people asked for even bigger maps. So the first update (due this week) has them.
Now, I don't recommend this map size. I don't personally play it at this map size (or insane before it). But many people really love these crazy large maps.
So here's a game of AI vs. AI I'm using for testing.
Be warned: It uses 15 GIGABYTES of memory and is pushing my 10-core PC pretty hard. At this size, turn times are not going to be fast. In the map I'm playing, there are 64 players. If you figure that each player is able to move in just 1 second, that's still a minute per turn and 1 second would be really fast given the size.
With those caveats, let's take a look..
I'm posting this on my brand-new 4K monitor.
I'm not saying that having this monitor makes me better than you.
I'm not saying that having this monitor makes me morally superior.
And now...I give you..
The super happy fun guide for conquering the universe
By Brad Wardell
So you've decided to conquer the galaxy. Good for you!
The Critically Acclaimed Space 4X Strategy Game, Galactic Civilizations III
Gets Its Biggest Expansion Ever!
Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade comes packed with tons of new features, base game improvements, and so much more
Experience a whole new side of Galactic Civilizations III with the Crusade expansion! Packed with new features,
Crusade provides a level of strategic depth that fixes the late-game grind and gives players what they’ve been craving.
Missing some DLC in your collection? Get the rest for the complete experience!
Hello everyone, and welcome to another Dev Journal. Jupiter’s Forge development continues, but this week we’re going to take a break from talking about it. This is because we’ve seen many returning players coming back to OTC, and given that we’ve just celebrated Offworld’s first anniversary this past week it seemed like a good to time to catch them up on some of the major changes we’ve seen this year.
Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade is almost here. The biggest, most complex space 4X ever.
Every game is different. This is my story. Your story will be different.
Stardock has set a release date for the biggest expansion pack it has ever created: May 4! A little over a week away from the time of this post.
Galactic Civilizations III is a space-based strategy game set in a future where humanity has begun to explore the stars. Players explore the galaxy, colonize new worlds, research new technologies, negotiate with alien civilizations, design star ships, fight epic wars, build vast trading empires, and much more.
Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade, vastly expands on the base game's feature set adding:
- The Civilization Builder. Create your own custom civilizations complete with what their ships will look like via ones you create with the game's designer or by downloading any of the tens of thousands of ship designs created by players as well as controlling what their citizens will look like, how the AI will use them, what they will say in negotiations and more.
- Galactic Citizens. The best and brightest of your civilization can now be specialized into Diplomats, Engineers, Entrepreneurs, Scientists, Generals, Commanders, Spies and more.
- Espionage. Send your spies to foreign civilizations to steal technology, sabotage worlds, discover their plans and more.
- New "Living Galaxy" economy. Over a dozen different resources, of various levels of rarity from game to game, are scattered across the known universe. These resources are needed for everything from researching to weapon systems and even citizen promotions. Obtain these resources through trade, conquest or scavenging.
- Interactive Invasions. Players can specialize citizens into Generals who in turn train legions of soldiers that can be used to invade or defend worlds. When a world is invaded, each side places their corresponding legions where they think they're needed most.
- Galactic Missions. Late game, players send out missions from their planets and shipyards to gather resources, discover new technologies, spread your culture and more. The missions feature is just part of the overall effort to make the mid to late game engaging and unique.
- Commanders & Privateers. Train your Citizens to command your fleets or turn them into Privateers which allow you to attack the ships of other players without them knowing who is responsible (particularly fun in multiplayer).
- New Civilizations. Three new civilizations have been added to the game which include their own ship design parts and other goodies.
This is just touching the surface of what the Expansion does. The vastly updated AI is more formidable than ever, every number in the game has been balanced with all the changes in mind and every existing DLC gets automatically updated if the player has it when playing Crusade (i.e. Stardock went back and redid every existing DLC so that if the player plays the existing DLC while running Crusade the gameplay is different).
Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade is being released as a Steam DLC to Galactic Civilizations III players and will be able to be purchased for $39.99 package (GalCiv III + Crusade integrated together) on May 4 at GalCiv3.com, Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle and elsewhere.
To learn more visit:
- Stardock Entertainment
- GalCiv III Preview Guide (detailed explanation of new features)
- Crusade: The first turn
And please be sure to subscribe to the GalCiv III reddit sub where Stardock will be giving away shirts and other prizes shortly.