- On Windows 11, explorer windows no longer have a black top bar when in combine mode.
Tweak to stop file copy dialogs being grouped with other windows (say xplorer2)
Tweak which may resolve black flash issue on Win7 when switching tabs,
Fix for FancyZones compatibility.
Note that tabs will not look ideal on Win11 and other issues may exist as early build of OS, but the worst issue (black bar) resolved.
Resolve a flicker issue changing tabs in Win11 sometimes (explorer only we think)
Fixed a problem with maximized windows shifting in from the screen border sometimes
- Updated Korean language:
- Fix for the reported issue with windows with text updating on another virtual desktop causing groupy flicker on the other desktop.
- Tweaks + button to ignore the file passed to notepad so notepad always opens a new instance.
Versioning change for more flexibility.
- Fixed a Groupy titlebar grab \ drag \ lag issue introduced in 1.49
- Fixes an issue with auto-grouping ignoring the locked status
- Fixes bars showing on other virtual desktops when you switch to them briefly
- Potentially resolves an issue with auto grouping and virtual desktops grouping multiple windows from different groups
- Updated Korean (credit to user ???3640)
- This has tweaks for the reported issue with tabs getting stuck to the mouse.
This isn't something we can repro, but build sent to users reporting it have confirmed it working
- Fixes the issue with Acrobat when closing the window (note it may not set focus to the next window in the group when closed:https://forums.stardock.com/503051
- Fixes the issue with tab colors when the tab bar is full:
- Fixes the issue with Telegram being clipped:
- Fixed gap in browser window when switching from full screen (F11):
- Fixed issue where after locking a group, one could no longer use the Groupy titlebar to move the group
- Fixed issue that caused some MS Office apps to flicker when maximizing from taskbar:
Groupy 1.46 is an accumulation of changes
Changelog for 1.46
Resolve the issue where auto grouping didn't group correctly. Whilst this happened with 'Combine if possible' mode, it may well have happened for some in both modes as it was very timing-sensitiveUser Report: https://forums.stardock.com/502031/get;3791587
Release Discussion: https://forums.stardock.com/502589
Changelog for 1.45
- Fixed working directory on saved groups
- Fixed issue with white title bars when color applied to title bars in Win10 causing white menus and non obvious active tabs in combine mode
- Fixed issue with UWP apps sometimes not joining a group
- Groups locked status is now saved in Groupy files
- Renamed tabs are now saved in the Groupy file
Rename tab / save group now takes escape = cancel and enter = save to make using with keyboard easier
Default to selecting all text when renaming a tab to make life easier
- When re-saving a previously saved (and executed) Groupy file, the name is now offered by default to save time
- Fixed issue with auto-grouping an application when the same application had been launched for a specific group within the past 2 minutes as well.
- Fixed potential issue with rules for a window no longer being applied after a set time period
Beta Discussion: https://forums.stardock.com/502398
- Small tweak for a possible crash if Groupy was turned off very quickly after being turned on.
- If a window has a blank caption it will paint the close tab button correctly now
- If a window is not responding it should no longer leave the group when moved. It cannot be resized though or added to a group
- Tweaks which may address an issue with leftover tab bars on-screen in edge cases
Groupy 1.43 is a culmination of 2 prior betas. Below are the changelogs for each and links to the discussions for them.
Changelog for 1.43
- Fixed an issue for where a gap appeared under the Groupy titlebar when adding to a maximized Group \ app
- Fixed an issue that would see some apps (e.g. Photoshop) have bottom of view space cut off \ not visible.
- Fixed an issue that could have seen Windows Explorer become sluggish over time
- Discussion: https://forums.stardock.com/501534/
Changelog for 1.42
Addressed an issue for some apps without standard titlebars not being correctly positioned in a maximized group resulting in some clipping of content.
Groupy 1.41 is a culmination of multiple prior betas and some additional changes for 1.40. Below are the changlogs for each and links to the discussions for them.
Changelog for 1.41
- Should address some languages not being able to create saved groups (Greek for example) or have access to the save text box at all (Chinese being one).
Changelog for 1.40
- Fix issue with combine mode tab showing black with a very dark blue accent color
- Fix for the edge of Excel/Word/Powerpoint etc going slightly off-screen when snapped to the left or right of the screen
- Fix for higher than expected CPU when Excel is used to hide a worksheet
- Possible fix for Teams / WhatsApp / other electron apps from being slightly out of alignment with other apps in a tab group
- Addresses an issue with active tabs when they are not the foreground window using darker Curtains themes having a wrong text color (combine mode)
- Fixes a Curtains issue to keep dark mode tabs when using a curtains style when in combine mode
- Fixes themes which use the solid area under text to correctly blank out the area under the tabs and + / ... buttons when in combine mode (the macmono style is one such style)
- May address legacy Microsoft Office store version where it may not open member apps from a saved group
- Add tab (+) will now launch a new tab as elevated if the original tab was also elevated.
Changelog for 1.39 Beta
- Fixed an issue where the min, max, close buttons could be clipped under certain conditions
To improve the success rate of adding an app to a group with delayed grouping enabled, to make it more obvious that an app will be grouped when moved to an area, we expanded the tabbing area to include the tabs when they are placed above the titlebar.
- Discussion: https://forums.stardock.com/500993
Changelog for 1.38 Beta
- Some tweaks for Curtains compatibility
- Font on tab tweaked to be slightly bigger to match OS correctly
- Excel and Word add tab button no longer caused Excel/Word to hang around after you close all windows
- Groupy tabs update for change in color scheme with curtains now
- Fixes where Curtains 1.0 had a different image for the left-most tab in Groupy
- Enables the newly added global close button (top right in Groupy) could be skinned in Curtains
- Discussion: https://forums.stardock.com/500911/
Changelog for 1.37 Beta
- Addressed an issue that would cause Groupy 1.36 beta to crash if Curtains RC2 was installed. This 1.37 version must be installed to avoid that crash if Curtains RC2 is installed
- Discussion: https://forums.stardock.com/500521
Changelog for 1.36 Beta
- Curtains style support - requires at least Curtains Beta 6
- Automatic selection of suitable colors when using a curtains style without custom groupy parts - Needs Curtains Beta 6
- Expanded max tabs in a group from 25 to 50
- Fixed LibreOffice/OpenOffice not grouping when launched from a saved group
- When in dark mode the tab bar is now dark in all apps for foreground state
- Added new close all button on far right of tab bar. This only applies to tabs above mode and only when tab bar is set to fill full width
- Fixed an issue with a tab group being slightly too small leaving a gap when maximized on higher scale factors
- Fixed an issue with FancyZones not detecting the drag of a group when dragging the tab bar
- Fixed an issue with FancyZones which resulted in the tab bar being outside of the zone in some circumstances
- Fixed an issue with the option to hold ctrl down to make a new window merge with the last window if a window had been closed from a group recently
- Tweaked hold ctrl down to make new windows merge with the last window to make it respect the exclusion/inclusion list settings
- Stopped Groupy trying to launch documents as elevated when the user has disabled UAC entirely on their system
- Locking a group should no longer prevent grouping from working once that group is closed
- Steam and similar apps with custom titlebars no longer get clipped on the left-hand border when in a group and maximized
- Fixed an issue with combine if possible groups not allowing switching to other tabs when your mouse is at the very top of the screen
- Fixes an issue with a blank area below maximized apps with custom titlebars
- Fixes an extra 1-2 pixel line under apps when on scaling > 1 with some apps
- Excel macro editor can no longer be added to a group as it is not compatible
- Dragging a window to a group that's maximized on another monitor should not cause the group to jump to the monitor the new window was on before dragging started
- Maximized windows of differing types should have more consistent tab heights
- Added option to use the middle button in explorer to act as double click on items and middle button on a blank area to go up a level in a folder
- Added related option to make a middle button click open folder as tab
- Added option to use ctrl+tab for tab switching (advanced page)
- Tweaked office file saving to use Unicode rather than ANSI for checking for existence just in case this is causing an issue for foreign setups
- Discussion: https://forums.stardock.com/500347
Groupy 1.32 (3-18-2020)
- Fixed scaling issue with Groupy UI at 125%
- Added French and Dutch translations
- Updated Simplified Chinese
- Added Traditional Chinese
Groupy 1.3 (12-10-2019)
- Fixes maximization issue with explorer in the combine mode (no longer clips the taskbar).
- Groupy no longer prevents Windows from shutting down.
- Tab background bar defaults to grey.
- Fixed white tab color issue with Win10 Insider build.
- Groupy now works better with sandboxed applications such as Chrome.
- Installer now includes German translation.
- Added Chinese.
- Windows 10 Insider Build Only: Fixed issues with some Windows Store apps not showing the '+' option in Groupy.
Groupy 1.25 (8-7-2019)
- Windows 10 Dark Mode UI support
- Resolved some tab color issues with the KB4505903 update for Windows 10 in dark mode
- Windows 10 Light Mode optimization
- Ability to add a delay before grouping your windows together.
- Fixes issue with combine mode tabs being the wrong color background on Win8/10
- Fixes an issue to allow LibreOffice/OpenOffice to open new tabs correctly and also closing them should maintain focus correctly
- Adds in dark mode explorer support
- Added Unicode support
- Adds button in config to access saved groups
- Adds message about where saved groups are saved when you save a group
- Fix for issue on 32-bit Win8/10 with combined Explorer bars
- Fix a case where Explorer titlebar extra bits would show when using combine tabs mode
- Fix for issue with the new tab button not having a background painted when in tabs above mode when fill tabbar not on but hide groupy button turned on
- Adds new tab creation for Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer if you set them to have a Groupy new tab button (it's tabs all the way down...)
- Adds option to make exclusion list an inclusion list for grouping (under Exclusions dialog)
- Opening new Office tabs via + should be quicker
- OneDrive files in Office apps will save correctly
- Cleaned up flicker when opening a new tab in Explorer
- Cleaned up flicker when dragging a tab from a group and using tabs integrated into the titlebar
- Cleaned up jumping slightly on dragging a maximized group from the Groupy bar
- Tweaked resize from the top of a group to have 4 pixels vs 1 space
- Misc : Right click on a tab shows the Groupy ... menu
- Misc : Dragging tabs now has an enlarged amount of drag needed to start them moving (8 pixels vs 4)
- Misc : Dragging single tab groups or from the extended bar when in tabs above mode now starts dragging of the window instantly vs needing 4 pixels to drag
- Misc : You can now drag a maximized window from the extended tab bar or from the tab (single tab / only allow dragging with shift/right click on)
- Misc : Right click menu now has the options it usually hides depending on need set to disabled to keep consistency
- Fixes : Outlook and OneNote no longer have the wrong tab colours
- Fixes : Command lines with " around them now are kept in groupy files. This requires resaving any existing .groupy files.
- Fixes : Tab look tweaked for always above mode when your OS colour scheme is set to always use white titlebars.
- Fixes : Cursor correctly changes to size cursor when on top of tabs
- Fixes : Issue with dragging a tab off a group and then instantly trying to put it back in the same group resolved. It now regroups correctly
- Fixes : Issue with autogroup all word/excel/powerpoint/explorer windows interfering with saved groups resolved
- Fixes : Issue with applications with dynamic classnames resolved for saved groups. This should help VS2017, Affinity Photo, MailWasher Pro etc
- Fixes : Non UWP apps purchased via the store can now be saved in a group successfully and relaunched and grouped. You will need to resave any groups that had those apps in them.
- Fixes : Older VB6 and Delphi applications may be allowed to group now
- Fixes : Maximizing a group on one monitor and dragging to another should not swap tabs
- Fixes : Correctly saves items launched from console windows
- Fixes : for Office on 32-bit
- Fixes : the shift + win + arrow issue with maximized windows
- Adds : support for saving groups that can be launched again later (either grouped or ungrouped)
- Adds : support for saved groups with Explorer, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint to remember the location/files that were being worked on
- Adds : option to add a New tab button to running applications (defaults to on for Explorer windows)
- Fixes : under the hood compatibility fixes and performance improvements
- Adds: support for changing the hotkey for international users
- Adds: option to only group when right button is also held down when dragging
- Adds : Option on Windows 8/10 to hide all taskbar buttons for windows in a group bar the active one (under more settings drop down).
- Adds : Three dot menu now offers Close all windows in this group option which sends close to them all.
- Adds : Three dot menu now offers ungroup all which ungroups the windows in the group.
- Added under more settings an option to show or not show the inactive tab preview image.
- Added in the option to pick the inactive tab / bar colour for focused and non focused states.
- Fixes: ungrouping an autogrouping window getting regrouped the next time a window opened
- Fixes: hide taskbar buttons option not working on Win7/8 (does not work with Modern apps, as they are special...)
- Fixes : Issue with Win10 virtual desktops with minimized groups on a switch showing the groupy bar.
- Fixes : issue with Win10 virtual desktops auto grouping windows from the wrong desktop.
- Fixes : Dragging a maximized group from one monitor to another monitor no longer causes tab group to switch monitors.
- Fixes : Auto grouping now works correctly when only group windows of the same type is enabled.
- Fixes : If you minimize a maximized group and then click on the taskbar button of another member of the group it no longer shows up non maximized.
- Fixes : Tweaks autogrouping which may help with an issue reported where the first group didn't show the tabs correctly.
- Tweaks : Now defaults to tinting the bar based on the tab colour vs a pale grey as before (existing setting, changed default value).
- First public build for trial and standalone purchase.
- Fixes for cmd on Win7/8, maximized Office apps, Microsoft Edge slowdown, and more.
Groupy 0.85 beta
- Added auto grouping options to include all Example.exe processes in the same group.
- Added initial popup indicating how to use Groupy.
- Added middle button to close a tab option.
- Changed closing a tab to switch back to the previously used tab vs the first.
- Fixes for tab bar becoming non responsive to clicks.
- Improved compatibility for Photoshop, Visual Studio, virtual desktops (Win10), and WindowBlinds.
- Improved tab switching performance.
- Tweaked UI and animation.
- Not fixed: Microsoft Edge slowdown. It's being worked on.
Groupy 0.80 beta
- Initial beta.